I ended up at the dr. last week for pink eye, and she informed me that not only is pink eye going around, but all kinds of crazy sicknesses are spreading. It’s that time of year, apparently! If you’re like me, the thought of getting sick stresses you. There are several things I do regularly to boost my immunity, and I wanted to share them with you. They do work and have saved me from sickness (or lessened the effect of it) more than once.
Ways to Boost Your Immunity
Supplement, supplement, supplement:
- I take Vitamin C (up to 3,000mg throughout the day) which fights infection and builds immunity, Vitamin D (2,000 for the average person, up to 10,000 for the seriously deficient like me- get your levels checked), Zinc, Probiotics (I double the recommended dose when I feel sickness coming on. this is probably the best thing I’ve done for my health!), & occasionally L-Lysine (nothing better for a sore throat).
Consider your diet:
- Its especially important when sick that your body isn’t working overtime to handle the food you are consuming. Eat as clean as possible, cutting out grains, sugars, and processed products. Up your vegetable intake (easy by juicing!) & add healthy fats like coconut oil.
- Make beef or chicken bone broth. This is HUGE HUGE HUGE in boosting your immunity! I will eventually post a how-to, but in the meantime, check out Wellness Mama for her method.
- Eat plenty of fresh garlic (raw if possible), ginger, and turmeric.
- Add some Apple Cider Vinegar to your water. If you can’t stand the taste, there are capsules available which is amazing.
- Local honey= nature’s antibiotic.
- Drink water. And lots of it.
Get some rest:
- You know how everyone tells you to get rest when you’re sick, and you’re like, yeah right, I have this and this and this to do?! I get it, but you NEED rest. I hit a point where I decided that it is not worth it to stress my body further by running while sick because it just prolongs the sickness and time off work! Treat yourself gently and get restorative sleep that will allow your body to heal.
- Check your stress levels. I can’t tell you how many times my sickness was brought on by stress. You can prevent that by being in tune with your body and anxiety levels well before it gets to that point.
Stay healthy! If you have any favorite natural remedies to prevent or cure sickness, please share them with me! I’m always looking for more. In the meantime, I’m going to be drinking lots of bone broth and catching up on some good reading.
this post contains affiliate links to products I trust and use. thanks for supporting my site.